Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Fried" Chicken Leg Cookies

I try to do something fun and unique for my hubby's birthday each year.  Two years ago I made him this cream puff "cake".  Last year I made him a Llama cake. This year I wanted to make something fun that didn't involve traditional cake. I also wanted to incorporate his favorite food...Popeye's Chicken!  I found an idea on Pinterest and ran with it. Sugar cookies in the shape of chicken legs!


It's impossible to find a cookie cutter in the shape of a chicken leg so each cookie was cut out by hand using a stencil I made out of card stock.  The funniest part of this project was making a trip to Popeye's and asking for two empty boxes and a plastic bag.  I asked the manager if I could buy them from her and she looked at me with a funny face and said, "Um, you can just have them."  I then explained what I was doing and they were excited to help out with the boxes. 



These are just standard sugar cookies with royal icing on them.  Brush on a mixture of meringue powder and water, and then pat some crumbled Corn Flakes on top to give them a fried chicken texture. For complete details and instructions, visit Bridget's blog over at Bake at 350. She makes the most amazing sugar cookies and I just love following her blog.  This was her idea and she used a KFC bucket to put her cookies in. 


Here's my cute hubby in his ugly Christmas sweater after opening up his Popeye's "chicken". I delivered two boxes full of cookies to his work so everyone could share in on the fun.  

Happy Birthday Babe! Not sure what I'll come up with next year...but I'm sure it will be good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment