Sunday, October 20, 2013

Homemade Salsa


Summer is definitely over. The temps are getting chilly around here and I picked up my last farm share (CSA = community supported agriculture) on Thursday.  It included green onions, radishes, turnips, spinach, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, cilantro, and my last fresh picked tomatoes of the year. Bummer!

I love supporting local farmers and I have been 100% pleased with my farm share from Hand Sewn Farms based out of Manchester, MI.  Megan was such a pleasure to work with.


Knowing these were my last fresh tomatoes of the season, I knew there was one thing I really wanted to make...SALSA!!!  I already had onions and cilantro so I was well on my way!

I could just sit and eat a whole bowl of salsa.  Yum!  This batch had a few too many onions for my liking so I scaled it down in the recipe for next time. This was my last taste of summer. It's time to move on to soups and lots of pumpkin recipes. 


Easy Homemade Salsa
Source: A Busy Girl

6 medium tomatoes
1/4 large sweet onion
3 big cloves of raw garlic
1 medium-sized JalapeƱo pepper, seeded
1/2 c. fresh cilantro (measured before chopping)
Freshly squeezed lime juice – 1/2 to 3/4 of a medium lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Dice all the ingredients and put them into in a bowl. Give it a good stir. Taste test and make adjustments as necessary. Store in refrigerator in an air tight container.
It gets even better after it sits in the fridge for a couple of days, as the flavors meld together.

No comments:

Post a Comment