Friday, April 27, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

The hubby and I made time for a date night this past weekend. We dined at a restaurant that I've been wanting to try for a long time now called Paesano's. My hubby ordered ham and bean soup for the 1st course of his meal. Not something I would normally try but it was delicious! So good that I wanted to try a version myself at home.

After dinner we went to see the movie American Reunion. That group of actors always makes us laugh! It was such a fun night out and I look forward to many more to come.

Ham and Bean Soup
Source: Taste of Home

2 medium carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2 T. butter
4 cans (15.5 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. fully cooked ham, cubed
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/4 t. pepper
1 bay leaf

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf.

*Kathie's tip:  If your ham comes with the bone inside do not throw it away! After the soup came to a boil, I let it simmer on low for about 45 minutes with the bone in the soup. This gives the soup wonderful flavor. Then you can discard the bone before serving the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment