Saturday, March 17, 2012

Culinary School - Weeks 9 and 10 (Bread Class)

It's been a couple weeks since I last updated you on my culinary classes. I am on the home stretch and will graduate in exactly ONE WEEK!!!!

Two weeks ago in Artisan breads we made: Croissants, Whole Wheat Croissants (half filled with ham & cheese and the other half filled with spinach & feta cheese), Danish, Egg Bread, Challah, Pain au Lait, and Marbled Rye. We got to practice braiding the bread with 2, 4, 5, and 6 strands. With the croissants we learned how to use the sheeter to roll out and fold the dough several times creating flaky layers.



Last week in bread class we made a German bread called Kugelhopf and an Easter favorite, Hot Cross Buns.



Next came the fun part! We each made a batch of decorative dough and created individual bread centerpieces. We were allowed to create anything we wanted. He's my creation:


With the use of a checkerboard pattern, a 3 strand braid, and rose with leaves - all made out of bread, I was able to create this awesome centerpiece. It was a blast!


Stay tuned for an update on my Show Pieces and Advanced Cake Decorating classes. Finals are next week too!

2 comments:

  1. wow that's beautiful, I wouldn't want to cut it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie,
    awesome job on the bread. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete