Sunday, December 18, 2011

Culinary School - Finals are Over!

Yesterday was the last day of my finals for this quarter. I am officially on a 3 week break! Woo-hoo!!! For our last day in Chocolate and Sugar class each person had to create a chocolate and sugar centerpiece.

Here's my chocolate centerpiece. Requirements included: textured base, 4 piece base structure, crescent, 3 spheres of 3 different sizes with coloring, and a rolled chocolate flower on top. It also had to be at least 12 inches high. Other than that we were left on our own and told to be creative and have fun with it. My centerpiece turned out really well and was chosen to be put on display in the hallway for all the school to see.


Sugar class proved to be quite frustrating for many of us. Requirements included: bottom base with two sided structure, two pulled flowers, rock sugar, and some type of casted or poured sugar (I made sugar twirls). I ended up with a big blister on my thumb from pulling the hot sugar (in order to make flowers). My big flower also shattered while I was assembling my piece. That was very disappointing considering the amount of time it took to make. Even with that said, I am proud of what I created. And more importantly I ended up with A's in all 3 of my classes!


Here's a closer look at my pulled flower. Remember, everything in this centerpiece is made out of sugar {and isomalt} and is completely edible. If you look closely on the left side of the picture, you will see my large purple flower that shattered. Luckily, my small yellow flower stayed together!

No comments:

Post a Comment