Friday, November 4, 2011

Quiche



For "brinner" this week I wanted to make a quiche. I followed the recipe of The Pioneer Woman and it turned out wonderful! Very tasty and the artichokes added to its unique factor. It also calls for bacon and mushrooms - two favorites of mine! This recipe uses a premade pie crust which will save you a ton of time. It was very filling for dinner and my family loved it. Thanks PW - I know I can always count on you! :)



Quiche
Source: The Pioneer Woman

3/4 lb. Thick Cut, Peppered Bacon
1 stick Butter
1 whole Large (or 2 Medium) Onions, Very Thinly Sliced
2 boxes (5 Oz. Each) White Mushrooms, Washed And Sliced
1 can (14 Oz.) Quartered Artichoke Hearts
1 whole Pie Crust
7 whole Eggs
1-1/2 c. Heavy Cream
2 c. Grated Swiss Cheese (I used Mozzarella)
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Optional: Fresh Parsley, Fresh Chives

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside. Pour out excess grease but don’t clean the pan. Melt butter in the same skillet. Add onions and cook for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and artichokes and cook for a few more minutes. Salt mixture to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.

Roll out pie crust and press into deep dish tart pan. (May also use 2 standard pie crusts for this recipe.) In a large bowl, beat eggs with cream. Add grated cheese, salt and pepper, and set aside. (Add cayenne pepper if you’d like a little kick.)

With a slotted spoon, add mushroom mixture into egg/cream mixture. Stir together. Add bacon and stir. Add parsley or chives, if desired. Pour into pie crust and press to submerge ingredients. Cover loosely with foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Bake for slightly longer if quiche is overly jiggly.

Remove from oven and allow to set for ten minutes before serving. Remove quiche from pan and slice into wedges.

*Note: I cut the recipe in half because I only have one standard size tart pan. It was the perfect amount for my family of 4 and we still had plenty of leftovers for the next day!

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.. many of my favorites in this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie, this really looks delicious. I am new to your blog so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be so tasty on this cold rainy night. Need to stop and get the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good! Wish I had seen it earlier today but I guess it'll wait for another day.

    ReplyDelete