Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mexican Black Beans with Pork

I've been on a crock pot kick lately! I just love being able to toss everything in, turn it on low, and have a wonderful meal ready for me at the end of a long day. Here's a nice healthy recipe for you! It's a great pork and beans recipe - very filling and great served on top of rice.



Mexican Black Beans with Pork
Source: Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

1 lb. boneless pork loin, trimmed of any fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 t. chili powder
1 t. ground coriander
Salt to taste
1 med. yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
Two 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
One 16-oz. can stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juice
2 c. water
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

For serving:
Hot cooked white rice
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

1. Toss the pork with the chili powder, coriander, and salt until coated evenly. Heat a large ungreased skillet over medium-high heat, then lightly brown the pork with the onion and garlic, stirring.

2. Transfer the pork mixture to the slow cooker, stir in the beans, tomatoes with their juice, and water, season with pepper, cover, and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.

3. Serve the beans and pork ladled over steamed white rice garnished with cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. I'd love it but I'm not so sure my family would. I need more crockpot dinners this year so I just may add this to the list and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete