Saturday, November 5, 2011

Culinary School - Week 5 (Chocolate and Sugar class only)

I'm super excited to show you what we accomplished in class today. It was Week 5 which normally marks the 1/2 way point of the semester and is when we have midterms. Lucky for me this quarter I didn't have any real midterms. (That was a nice change!)

In chocolate class we had what the Chef called a practice midterm. Just a way for him to evaluate us on our competencies so far. It made the class a lot more fun because there wasn't the normal stress that midterms usually bring with them.

We each had to do 2 types of rolled truffles, 1 molded chocolate with color, and 2 chocolate bowls (made by dipping balloons in chocolate). I had a lot of fun with it and am glad to report I got everything done and still had 45 minutes left to spare. Here are some of the chocolates that I made.

In order from top to bottom: Cayenne Peanut Butter Truffles, White Chocolate Kirch Molded Chocolates, and Black & White Sesame Truffles


In sugar class we continued on with pastillage and assembled one of two centerpieces we are working on. Remember, pastillage is made out of powdered sugar, gelatin, cornstarch, and water. Today we had to complete a cocoa painting of a picture of our choice and then "glue" our pastillage frame and stand together with royal icing. So everything in this picture is edible...though not meant to be eaten. :)

I used a picture that my hubby took at the zoo a couple years ago while we were in the butterfly display. Pretty neat, right? Everything is painted with cocoa paint (cocoa powder mixed together with vodka!)



Here's a picture that shows some of my classmate's centerpieces. It was fun watching everyone get creative today!

No comments:

Post a Comment