Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Citrus Spritz Cookies

I have a cookie press or two that I always pull out around Christmas time. I recently learned that I don't need the extra piece of equipment to make fancy spritz cookies. With a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and a steady hand, I am now able to make cute, uniform spritz cookies by hand!

These little bite size cookies are fun to eat and the little dollop of strawberry jam in the middle makes these cookies quite attractive!





Citrus Spritz Cookies
Source: On Baking: A Textbook of Baking & Pastry Fundamentals

8 oz. Unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. Sugar
0.21 oz. Lemon zest (1 T.)
0.05 oz. Salt (1/4 t.)
0.15 oz. Vanilla extract (1 t.)
1.6 oz. Egg (~ 1 egg)
10 oz. Cake flour, sifted

1. Cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the salt, vanilla extract and egg; beat well.

2. Add the flour, beating until just blended. The dough should be firm but neither sticky nor stiff.

3. Press or pipe the dough onto an ungreased sheet pan, using a cookie press or a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.

4. Bake at 350°F until lightly browned around the edges, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

Makes 4 dozen cookies, approximately 1/2 oz. each.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, how cute are these? I love the little jam in the middle, I'll bet it makes them taste even better than they already do by themselves. I just moved, and I think I might christen my new oven with a batch of these!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete