Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Risotto

We learned how to make risotto during pasta/carb week in my cooking class. I had never eaten risotto before until that day. I had no idea what I was missing out on!!! It is so earthy, so flavorful, and so filling! I wanted to rush home and make it for my hubby to try. We served it as a side with grilled steaks and I was stuffed at the end of the meal. It was amazing! It takes a little time to make because you have to constantly watch over the rice and stir it very often for about 30 minutes, but the end result is so worth it!

Quick note: You cannot use just any rice for risotto. It must be Arborio rice which can be found in the rice aisle of most grocery stores. I found it with no problem at my local Meijer.




Risotto
Source: Chef C. from my CULA105 class

1 oz. Butter
2 oz. Onion
1/2 c. Arborio rice
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 c. Chicken stock
2 oz. White wine
Salt and White Pepper, to taste
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 oz. Butter

Assemble all ingredients and equipment needed to prepare the recipe.

Heat butter in sauce pot, add onions and sweat until translucent. Add wine and stir until the wine is cooked. Add rice and cook for 1 minute.

Add the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting it fully absorb each time before adding more.

Stir the rice frequently so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.

Season with salt and pepper along the way.

From start to finish this dish should take 25-30 minutes.

Add Parmesan cheese and butter off the heat. Stir and serve on a plate as quickly as possible.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE risotto! The best way to make it is to pour a nice glass of wine, pull up a chair to the stove and sip and stir!

    ReplyDelete