Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Egg Salad Sandwiches

I have never had an egg salad sandwich in my life. Seriously. Never! My mom made ham salad sandwiches often when we were kids (and they were so good) but egg salad sandwiches were just something she never made nor have I. That is until today. For some reason I've been wanting to try them so I found this recipe on All Recipes.com and tried it out. My preschooler LOVES hard boiled eggs and wanted to help me make this for lunch. He was such a great helper and removed all the shells from the eggs while I mixed the other ingredients together.

I have to be honest and say that I was a bit disappointed. I've never had an egg salad sandwich so I don't have anything to compare this recipe to but I was expecting it to have a stronger mustard taste. It calls for mustard powder but I couldn't taste it at all. Perhaps next time I should use regular yellow mustard...I don't know.

How about you guys? Are there any egg salad sandwich lovers out there? Anyone have a great recipe they can share with me so I can give it a second chance?




Egg Salad Sandwiches
Source: AllRecipes.com

8 hard-cooked eggs, diced
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. dried onion flakes
1/2 t. salt
1 t. mustard powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper
1 t. dill weed
8 slices white bread (I used crescents)

In a bowl, gently mix the eggs, mayonnaise, onion flakes, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder, pepper, and dill. Cover, and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight. To serve, spread equal amounts on 4 slices bread; top with remaining bread slices to make sandwiches.

Note: If using promptly, begin by placing onion flakes in a small bowl and adding 1/4 cup hot water. Let sit 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain and discard the water, then add the rest of the ingredients to the onion, blending well.

3 comments:

  1. OMG...I didn't realize you had never had an egg salad sandwich before!! They are my favorite!!! I don't have an exact recipe...but this is what I do...
    6 or so hard boiled eggs, diced
    3-4 heaping tablespoons of mayo...I usually just eyeball this for a consistency that isn't too dry!
    celery salt...sprinkled across the entire top of what you have mixed...(maybe 1-2 tsp)
    pepper

    Mix it all up...let it chill for a little bit.

    I love to eat mine with the white pepperidge farm bread...you know the really thin bread! But my mom swears that it has to be on rye bread!!

    MMMMM...I just might have to make some soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Traci! So you don't use any mustard at all? Your recipe sounds good. I will give egg salad another try. :) I think it was the dill weed that I wasn't a fan of (in the recipe that I tried).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is kind of late (2 & 1/2 yrs late...owell) but I just found your site and have to say that it is my fav fav fav recipe/cooking site. Your recipes are so easy to make and look sooooo good, and know they are def something do-able for us (it's just me and my son, so cheap is key, as well as kid-friendly). Anyway, here is the BEST egg salad recipe I've ever had. It came from my grandma. And yes, it does have mustard :)
    *Diced hard boiled eggs, about 2 per sandwich
    *About 1 heaping Tbsp mayo per egg used
    *1/2 tsp mustard per egg
    **I sometimes add celery, diced, but you can use celery salt instead...I just like the crunchy-ness :)
    *salt & pepper to taste
    *juice from jar of jalepeno peppers to taste

    Mix well.
    I enjoy eating it when the eggs are still quite warm....yum...on plain white bread (the softer, the better)!
    I hope you give egg salad another chance. It's one of my favs! The best part, just add diced boiled potatoes and extra mayo and mustard to make my gram's potato salad!

    ReplyDelete